5 Alternatives to Chocolate for Your Children this Easter
It won’t be long before the Easter Bunny comes hopping along, ready to delight children everywhere with Easter delights. But instead of bringing piles of chocolate and candy for your little ones this year, imagine the Easter Bunny were to bring treats that were friendlier to your kid’s teeth and dental health!
Here are five ideas for treats you can buy your kids this Easter that won’t end up with a trip to the dentist!
- Pencils, crayons and markers – Kids love drawing, doodling and colouring, so why not encourage their creativity and save them a cavity by buying them some pencils, crayons and markers? Your local department store is sure to have a fine selection, but if you’re working on a budget then dollar stores usually carry them, too.
- Bubbles – kids love bubbles almost as much as they love candy (we said almost!), and bubbles won’t cause plaque buildup on their teeth! Again, dollar stores would be a good place to find kid-sized containers of bubbly fun, or you could also check party supply stores.
- Stickers – as long as you don’t mind finding stickers stuck to your furniture, walls and even to your children themselves, stickers make a great treat that doesn’t need to be followed up by a good brushing! Go ahead and get your kids stickers for their favourite TV characters or even get some Easter themed stickers to help celebrate the holiday.
- Play-Doh – oh, how we wish we were young again so we could enjoy the unlimited fun of Play-Doh! You can buy Play-Doh at your nearest department store, dollar store or party supply store, but even more fun is to make your own and teach your children the wonders of simple chemistry!
- Device gift cards – all of the suggestions that we’ve offered so far are fine for younger kids, but what about older kids? How about a few bucks on a card for their favourite device? Kids are always looking to spend money on their devices, whether it’s to play the latest games, download the coolest tunes or get that must-have app, so load up a device card and save them an extra round of brushing their teeth!
That’s our list of five treats you can buy your kids this Easter that’ll keep them happy without affecting their oral health. And even though we’re dentists and always on the lookout to improve your kids oral health, we love chocolate, too! So if you do give your children some sugary or chocolatey treats this Easter, make sure they brush their teeth properly to keep gum disease and tooth decay at bay!
If you’re looking for a family dentist, we’d love you to check us out! We have offices in both Milton and Scarborough, both with evening and weekend hours. We’d love to help take care of the teeth and oral health of you and your family, so give us a call today at our Milton office at (905) 636 – 9770 or at our Scarborough office at (416) 291 – 0306!