Tips for Finding the Right Dentist
Your oral health is tied to your overall general health. People don’t always associate the health of their mouths with their physical wellbeing but they should. Gum disease, in particular, has been linked to heart disease, stroke, respiratory illnesses and, most recently, dementia.
Given this link to your overall health and the fact that many people are already nervous about going to the dentist, it is critical to find one that you are comfortable with. You and your family will be building an important relationship with this person and their office: it’s best if you feel confident in their care.
Here are 3 things to consider when choosing your dentist
- Distance matters – Consider a dental office that is close to your home or office. If you have to go out of your way to attend even regular cleanings, you are less likely to be consistent. Also, if you have a dental emergency, it’s nice to know that you won’t have to go too far to get the care you need.
- Ask friends – Referrals are the best way to find someone to take care of your family’s mouths! Your friends know you best and are in a position to let you know if their dentist might be a good fit for you.
- Visit with the dentist – The office, the staff, the answers to questions you might have. These are all important factors in deciding on a dental care practitioner. Ask if you can have a consultation with the dentist of your choice before setting up a cleaning or other dental work appointment.
What are some questions you might want to consider when picking a dentist for you and your family?
- Do they offer payment options for uninsured portions of procedures? Some
- Do they have a welcoming office? Front office staff? You want to be relaxed when you go and see your dentist!
- What kind of sedation do they offer, for different age groups and issues of fear? What is their approach to oral sedation?
- If you have a child with sensory or other issues, finding a dentist with experience dealing with these issues is paramount.
- Do they offer emergency services? Do they offer extended or Saturday hours?
Orion Dental offers a complete range of dental services, including regular checkups and cleanings, teeth whitening, conscious sedation dentistry,cosmetic dentistry and oral surgery. If you’re looking for a dentist in Milton or a dentist in Scarborough for the entire family, call us to book an appointment and let’s get started!